Social Media Revolution: My Ups and Downs

This afternoon I received this email from my hubby, which of course enticed me to speak my mind (see very bottom of post):


Welcome to the Social Media Revolution

Click Here To Blow Your Mind

  1. By 2010 Gen Y will outnumber Baby Boomers….96% of them have joined a social network…what will that mean to your target demographic?
  2. Years to Reach 50 millions Users: Radio (38 Years), TV (13 Years), Internet (4 Years), iPod (3 Years)…Facebook added 100 million users in less than 9 months…iPhone applications hit 1 billion in 9 months.
  3. Generation Y and Z consider e-mail passé…In 2009 Boston College stopped distributing e-mail addresses to incoming freshmen
  4. 25% of search results for the World’s Top 20 largest brands are links to user-generated content
  5. 34% of bloggers post opinions about products & brands
  6. People care more about how their social graph ranks products and services than how Google ranks them - 78% of consumers trust peer recommendations
  7. 24 of the 25 largest newspapers are experiencing record declines in circulation because we no longer search for the news, the news finds us.
  8. In the near future we will no longer search for products and services they will find us via social media
  9. More than 1.5 million pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photos, etc.) are shared on Facebook…daily.
  10. Successful companies in social media act more like Dale Carnegie and less like David Ogilvy Listening first, selling second

The above statistics and “Social Media Revolution” video tell the story, social media isn’t a fad - it’s a fundamental shift in the way we communicate. Please feel free to share with any non-believers!


Yes. This blows my mind, but it also makes a complete circle in my mind. Technology has been a huge advancement in being able to market and advertise products/services. Upside: Companies have direct access to their specific demographics (no more wasted $ and time advertising to people who don't fall into your customer demos). Downside: As a consumer my privacy feels invaded knowing that I will get plastered with offers from companies based on products I've purchased or services I've used (I fear the day when I will start receiving those cheesy "old-people" catalogs that include butt-donuts, oversized magnifying glasses and shoes that resemble puffy slippers- just because I got online to see where I can purchase adult diapers cheaper than my local grocery store) :)

No Response to "Social Media Revolution: My Ups and Downs"

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Thanks for Visiting!

- Macy

Copyright © 2009 Making Macy All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes